Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: Best VPN for me  (Read 32788 times)

Offline nuibeach

• View Profile
Best VPN for me
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »
I have been with Astrill for 12 months and it has just expired so thought I would look around for what best suits me. It's a bit of a minefield to be honest and was hoping I could get some guidance here.

I live in the UK and have been using a VPN mainly for downloading tv series' I also subscribe to the NBA and NFL as if I am in Spain as for some reason it is much cheaper. I have just got an apartment in the Canaries and would like to watch AtTheRaces and RacingUK as if I was in the UK. My subscription is restricted for use abroad.

Astrill on the whole was good although I did sign up with a 30% discount and now they offered me zero to renew so would have cost $70 for the year. I set it up on my iphone and the US version worked at first the UK didn't and after a few months neither worked, although that wasn't important.

Is Astrill my best bet at $70 or do you recommend something better?

All the reviews seem to be from people in China and I am hoping someone on here can give me some advice from a UK perspective.

Thanks

Offline nuibeach

• View Profile
Re: Best VPN for me
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
went for HMA in the end at about $75

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:26:25 AM »
Goodluck on your new VPN provider. Keep us updated after a few months on your experience to your new vpn provider.

Offline nuibeach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
Goodluck on your new VPN provider. Keep us updated after a few months on your experience to your new vpn provider.

Early indications are it is a little more sophisticated than Astrill. The control panel gives you quite a few options, such as the capability to change ip's automatically at timed intervals such as every 30 mins. A secure IP bind option which will block certain websites unless you are connected to the VPN, however I put in uTorrent and it doesn't seem to work when I turn on my pc, maybe more tweaking needed.

There have been some early downsides though. Speedwise it can be very slow at times and I think this is down to HMA being more popular than ASTRILL. It seems that being one of the more fashionable providers has it's downsides. On my first day I switched to Spain and did an IP check and sent them the following email

Hello I signed up today and I just switched to a Madrid ip and when I seached my address at
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

I get the results below.

Not happy that it knows I use a VPN and the name HIDEMYASS.COM.

Also why is it saying I am in England When I want it to show I am in Spain?

IP Information: 94.46.240.213
ISP:   NFSi Telecom, Lda.
Organization:   NETCOSOLUTIONS dba HIDEMYASS.COM
Connection:   
Services:   None Detected
City:   Attleborough
Region:   Warwickshire

They replied the next day. I would also like to point out that I logged into RUK while connected to their Spanish site and RUK will not let people watch the racing from abroad without paying a premium, so it clearly was reading me as being in the UK.

Here is the reply....

Hello,

Third-party IP address lookup websites go by the physical address listed on the WHOIS address. This address is usually the ISP's headquarters office location. Some ISP's have their offices in another state to where the servers are housed. We identify our servers by physical location and not office location. This explains why some IP lookup websites say the IP location is in another area than what we list.

We can't really help about showing HideMyAss.com, someone obviously added our IP to the database. We will try to add more servers and IP's. That's the only thing we can do. :)

-----------
Best regards,
Jovan

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:40:49 AM »
Thanks for the update. At lest they have good support service. I might try HideMyAss in the future, their VPN client looks promising. :)

Offline walterlouis

• Hello!! :-)
    • View Profile
    • VPN Provider
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22:37 AM »
I have been with Astrill for 12 months and it has just expired so thought I would look around for what best suits me. It's a bit of a minefield to be honest and was hoping I could get some guidance here.

I live in the UK and have been using a VPN mainly for downloading tv series' I also subscribe to the NBA and NFL as if I am in Spain as for some reason it is much cheaper. I have just got an apartment in the Canaries and would like to watch AtTheRaces and RacingUK as if I was in the UK. My subscription is restricted for use abroad.

Astrill on the whole was good although I did sign up with a 30% discount and now they offered me zero to renew so would have cost $70 for the year. I set it up on my iphone and the US version worked at first the UK didn't and after a few months neither worked, although that wasn't important.

Is Astrill my best bet at $70 or do you recommend something better?

All the reviews seem to be from people in China and I am hoping someone on here can give me some advice from a UK perspective.

Thanks

Hey mate!! you can visit to this page (vpncreative.com/top-vpn-providers/) this page and select best VPN provider as here you will find list of top VPN providers.

Offline walterlouis

• Hello!! :-)
    • View Profile
    • VPN Provider
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 04:49:13 AM »
Hi Mate!!! After one or two month please share your experience with us because if you share your experience then it would be helpful for many new user to choose VPN provider.   :)

Offline provpndude

• View Profile
    • Best VPN For Bittorrent Guide
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »
I would stay away from astrill vpn. I own a website devoted to objective vpn reviews, and when I attempted to contact Astrill to review their vpn, I received this response. "We do not affiliate with vpn review websites."

There are not many reasons why a vpn would take this stance. In my opinion, the most likely reason is that they offer inferior service and as such depend on their customers being under-informed.

Offline timallen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »
I would stay away from astrill vpn. I own a website devoted to objective vpn reviews, and when I attempted to contact Astrill to review their vpn, I received this response. "We do not affiliate with vpn review websites."

There are not many reasons why a vpn would take this stance. In my opinion, the most likely reason is that they offer inferior service and as such depend on their customers being under-informed.

Maybe they just do not want to give out free vpn accounts. You can always buy a 1 month package from them so you can review their service.

:)

Offline tracyleon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »
If anyone in UK looking for a VPN tool so they should use region wise VPN which is actually dedicated server. UK VPN is best in this case and this will allow all the users who are living in UK to access blocked content.

Offline mariawatson44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »
I would suggest you ExpressVPN. I have been using it for over 2 years. In the past I used PureVPN and Astrill but both didnt work as good as expressVPN working, It will cost you around $100 but believe me it is worth buying.

Offline emmaplopez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 02:27:47 AM »
If you are in China and looking for UK VPN service or UK based vpn service to bypass internet restriction then you can try PureVPN or IPVanish they are really good and have multiple servers in UK and other countries that work fine in China.