Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: Bypass VPN for torrent client traffic  (Read 10943 times)

Offline ingenious06

• View Profile
Bypass VPN for torrent client traffic
« on: April 27, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »
Usually people ask to use VPN with p2p clients like utorrent.
But

I want to ask is there any way i can bypass VPN (Hotspot Shiled) for utorrent?

In simple i am using hotspot shield for web browsing but i dont want to use it for u torrent, i want utorrent to connect directly to my isp.

Any help?

Thanks

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bypass VPN for torrent client traffic
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
A VPN normally routes all your traffic to the tunnel or it will not route at all. Its a simple case of route everything or route nothing.

But there is actually a way to bypass the VPN by altering your routing table. This method works if you know the destination IP address.

For example you want to visit a website without going through the vpn tunnel. All you have to do is get the IP address of the website and add an entry to your routing table that tells your system that it should route all traffic to the website's IP address to your ISPs gateway and not your VPN.

In windows you can do it like this

Code: [Select]
route add ip.of.website mask 255.255.255.255 default.gateway.ip.of.your.connection
Of course the solution above only works if you already know what IP address you are going to connect to. This is not the best solution if you want uTorrent to bypass the VPN since there are a lot of IPs(Trackers,Peers) you need to add to the routing table.

Maybe a web/http proxy is more suitable for your needs since you are probably going to use the vpn for browsing only.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:18:30 AM by Administrator »

Offline ingenious06

• View Profile
Re: Bypass VPN for torrent client traffic
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
I appreciate your sincere answer. After a lot of wandering on the internet finally I found some satisfactory answer. Bundle of Thanks. :)