Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: Unblocking Geo-Restrictions for Expat Dad  (Read 3664 times)

Offline 4Dad1948

• View Profile
Unblocking Geo-Restrictions for Expat Dad
« on: July 04, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »
Long story so sorry in advance. Last year I got a 2 year subscription to PIA because my dad has retired to Costa Rica and had absolutely no access to US TV streams or Amazon Prime Video, and very limited access to Netflix. I’m not very tech-savvy, but I was able to flash the DD-WRT firmware onto a router and set it up for PIA so he could use his Roku without geo-restrictions. It worked great for a while, but recently it hasn’t because apparently PIA doesn’t support unblocking streaming sites anymore.

I understand it’s a cat-and-mouse game where the streaming providers constantly block VPN IPs as they pop up, but I’ve heard ExpressVPN still unblocks streaming sites by constantly adding new servers? So I’m considering buying him a Linksys WRT1900AC router and flashing it with ExpressVPN’s proprietary router firmware.

I also read somewhere that even if the VPN doesn’t work, ExpressVPN has some kind of “MediaStreamer” feature built into their firmware that somehow messes with the DNS instead of the IP address to bypass geo-restrictions? (Again, sorry for my tech illiteracy.) Does this make sense/sound like a good course of action? Are there any other options to bypass geo-restrictions through a router? Thanks!

Offline 4Dad1948

• View Profile
Re: Unblocking Geo-Restrictions for Expat Dad
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »
Bump