Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: My VPN Failed to protect me?  (Read 4873 times)

Offline JOHNNYL

• View Profile
My VPN Failed to protect me?
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
I've been using IPVanish for about 1 year and then I got a notice from my ISP. They had the titles of 2 different ones that I was down loading? I would like to know how this happened? IPVanish gave an answer that was very confusing to me so I am reaching out to try and find the answer.
So if you could help I would appreciate it. Thanks

Offline Saturnalia

• View Profile
Re: My VPN Failed to protect me?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:31:46 AM »
Hello JOHNNYL,
I could be wrong but the most likely reason that your ISP was able to track your activity while using IPVanish would be that you have a DNS leak. It's simple enough to find out whether I'm correct. Just go to this website whilst connected via IPVanish: https://www.dnsleaktest.com/
If any of the dns servers listed relate to your ISP then you do have a leak. According to the IPVanish support pages their software should prevent this from happening and force the use of their own DNS resolvers but perhaps you are not using their software. Either way, if the test confirms that you do have a leak I would suggest manually changing your primary and secondary DNS addresses through your computer's network & sharing properties to the IPVanish ones of 198.18.0.1 and 198.18.0.2. Alternatively use open DNS addresses, anything except those assigned by your ISP. Actually it's probably better to use something other than the IPVanish ones because their website does say that they only work whien connected via IPVanish and you'd need to keep changing them back whenever you weren't using your VPN connection.

Offline Wendy123

• View Profile
Re: My VPN Failed to protect me?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:28:04 AM »
With most of the vpns it is often the case. They have issues that put their users' data in trouble and at the risk of leak. They have usually bandwidth issues or connection time out problems. Sometimes the ip addresses are not registered or they do not have encrypted connection. Due to all these reasons I always choose my vpn provider with utter carefulness and with much research to avoid any problem regarding my online privacy in future. Next time, you shop for vpn always look out for GENUINE reviews and also especially on shareware sites and review sites.