Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: VPN Setup, Proxy, Hamachi  (Read 11847 times)

Offline axiom858

• View Profile
VPN Setup, Proxy, Hamachi
« on: May 07, 2016, 09:35:06 PM »
     I am relatively new to this and am looking for a little clarification on setting up my own VPN. I have heard that Hamachi is a good choice for setting up your own VPN to avoid using a third party VPN for security reasons. I want a network that is protected from people who would try to steal my personal info. However i'm wondering if by setting up a VPN using Hamachi, can the creators of the software access your VPN due to the fact that it is set up through their software? If so doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of building your own VPN? Sorry if this is an obvious question.

Additional question- Anyone who has experience with VPN's and Proxies, would you suggest Hamachi, or is there better software for setting your own VPN? Would running through a proxy eliminate the possibility of ISP tracking if you used the VPN away from home? Also what would you recommend as far as running through a proxy on top of this?

Sorry for the loaded post :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:48:58 PM by axiom858 »

Offline timallen

• View Profile
Re: VPN Setup, Proxy, Hamachi
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
I believe the developers of hamachi wont be able to access your vpn as they need your keys/password.

I would suggest to try OpenVPN although it would require a little bit more tinkering with configurations to work.

Running a proxy if you are already  using a VPN would add more latency besides a VPN already encrypts all your network traffic so your ISP wont be able to track the sites you are visiting.