Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: Still not anonymous?  (Read 3849 times)

Offline mel1f1carius

• View Profile
Still not anonymous?
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:04 PM »
I got an Infringement letter after downloading a popular show torrent while using both a VPN and a Sock5 Proxy. How is that even possible? I was also using Peerblock with updated block lists from Iblocklist. Client is Deluge. I have killswitch and IPv6 leak protection turned on, Was also using a foreign server...Still got an infringement letter. What did I do wrong?

Offline BarrySDCA

• View Profile
    • CNS VPN
Re: Still not anonymous?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »
could your VPN provider have ratted you out?  check for a privacy policy that specifically says they do not record logs.

If not that, are you sending all your traffic thru the VPN?  what did their support say?

Offline garyS91

• View Profile
Re: Still not anonymous?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:02:06 AM »
I got an Infringement letter after downloading a popular show torrent while using both a VPN and a Sock5 Proxy. How is that even possible? I was also using Peerblock with updated block lists from Iblocklist. Client is Deluge. I have killswitch and IPv6 leak protection turned on, Was also using a foreign server...Still got an infringement letter. What did I do wrong?

seems like either:

1. you used a proxy instead of a vpn (just unblocking vs encryption and anonymity)
2. your ip got leaked half way (seems less likely)
3. your provider provided the logs to authorities (check your provider's policy on this)

If 1 is the case, read up on proxy vs vpns. If 2 is the case, read up on kill switches and tunneling and if 3 is the case, go through your vpn provider's policies. also, do read up a bit on how a vpn for torrenting works.