Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: New to openVPN  (Read 4681 times)

Offline gael33

• View Profile
New to openVPN
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
As a noobie I was wondering how a VPN works, and the Gateway address that I was given at setup doesn't give me any idea where it is in the big wide world. Is there an address book or list with Gateway address for different countries I could obtain?
I guess as a Linux Mint 17.3 user I have made things difficult (no easy setup.exe program) as when I installed it on my mobile I have a menu of countries to choose from.
My Gateway address is ny1-ovpn.purevpn.net. I have no idea where that is!

gael

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New to openVPN
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:23 PM »
Based on the hostname provided (ny1-ovpn.purevpn.net) I believe that would be in New york.

You could also ping the hostname so you could get the IP and then use a page like http://www.pdproxy.com/ip-to-country.htm this to determine the country of that IP

Offline godtor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 01:38:33 AM »
Or you can just google for "what is my ip" when you are connected with the VPN and you will find the IP details for your VPN. Cheers :)

Offline Wendy123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:31:55 AM »
A vpn works by acting as a gateway between you and your connection provider. For instance, lets take it this way, your internet connection - a vpn gateway that hides your IP and converts it into any other country's IP  - Web. It secures your anonymity and saves you from the snooping eyes of hackers who can follow your browsing trail.