Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: Building a VPN on Linux or Windows?  (Read 13918 times)

Offline super

• View Profile
Building a VPN on Linux or Windows?
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »
Hi There,

I have never built a vpn before but I have been assigned to do so. I have a public ip address and I am now wondering if I should use Linux or Windows. I have tons of Windows knowledge and limited Linux knowledge, but I have a goal set of studying for the Linux+ cert. This project does have a time frame. How difficult is it to setup a Linux PPTP VPN and should I go for it or take the safe windows way out and what is the up and downsides of each.

Thanks for you time.

Offline sucks

• View Profile
Re: Building a VPN on Linux or Windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:08 AM »
 If you are looking for a site to site vpn, pfSense, smoothwall, Untangle, etc. would be a good choice. You don't need to mess with the details of the vpn connection by just using the gui.

A good cross platform client to site vpn is openvpn. This type of VPN works good through NAT and is easily setup through a firewall. There are clients for windows, linux, iOS, and I assume android since it is linux based.

Offline baron

• View Profile
    • VPNBaron.com
Re: Building a VPN on Linux or Windows?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 04:23:54 AM »
I would go with Linux. Not only you can set up the server via available scripts, but you can use other tools like iptables, traffic throttle, cronjobs ,etc.

Linux is much better for this kind of things than windows.

--------------------------
https://vpnbaron.com