Login

Forgot password?

We love free and open web!

Author Topic: How do I pick a VPN provider?  (Read 12319 times)

Offline drugstart

• View Profile
How do I pick a VPN provider?
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:19 AM »
There's a lot of VPN providers out there. Some are free, some are for a fee, some report to the government, some inject ads on the websites you visit, some are in other countries, you might not have any real promise of security when using these services.

How do you go about shopping for a VPN provider that won't just sell or give away your data? What criteria should I use? Is setting up my own VPN through a web host somewhere a more secure option?

Offline glee

• View Profile
Re: How do I pick a VPN provider?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:59 AM »
First you should ask your self: What advantage does a VPN provider have over providing your own with something like OpenVPN? If you are paranoid you could get a Virtual private Server(VPS) host. Other than that I would make sure that the service was fast, cheap and wasn't in the news for a security breach.

Offline timallen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:46:37 AM »
I'd definitely pick foreign VPN and make sure that they have a clear zero log policy.

Here's an interesting read:

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
    • VPN Software Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »
Well it depends on your needs... Why do you need a VPN? Then depending on your answer, you should go for popular service, or a low key service... At least that's my opinion!

Offline Mandee

• Love ExpressVPN, safe, anonymous, fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:18 AM »
It really depends on what you prioritize, but if in this order - security, speed, reliability, convenience - then OpenVPN is the best. You can try ExpressVPN (https://expressvpn.biz). This is what I use. There are zero adds and they definitely do not sell information. In fact they son't even log anything.

Offline SiliconArtist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Also look at the location of their servers. Make sure a) they have servers where you need them, and b) they have servers close to you so you get decent speed.

Offline peekock

• View Profile
    • Bucklor VPN is secure to use
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »
I think you should start the free trial first,then you will know whether it is ok for you, other customer's reviews are not all the true, there are a lot site offer free trial before buying, this is the best way to choose the best service!

Offline GoDJGo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 07:09:43 AM »
Read other clients' or customers' testimonials. Try to contact the current customers of the VPN provider of your choice and see if they are satisfied with the kind of services being rendered by the VPN company. Good luck!

Offline Alexpth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
Hi, I want to recommend you this vpn.

There are free anonymizer, 8 countries and many other features only for 3.99 $ for month and 22.99 $ for year.
 shadeyouvpn.com - you are welcome!

Offline abe_bahgat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »
Hey There!

Why dont you give www.vpnwise.com a go - They have 2 gigs for free & the fastest installer in the market. truly a oneclick installer experience - just try it for yourself

A one month free subscription is also given to anyone that gives feedback by email. You will get an email that will ask you to provide us with one negative or positive feedback, after you submit that single feedback, you get 1 month of unlimited bandwidth for free. and that way they get to improve their product.

I like what they stand for.

cheers,

Abe

Offline PortiaStairs

• View Profile
    • Solid Proxy Discount
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »
Before choosing the a VPN service you should keep some tips in mind like  Where is the company based and what will it do with your data?
What is the company’s data retention policy?
What will the company do if laws change?

Offline richard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 12:46:27 AM »
There's a lot of VPN providers out there. Some are free, some are for a fee, some report to the government, some inject ads on the websites you visit, some are in other countries, you might not have any real promise of security when using these services.

How do you go about shopping for a VPN provider that won't just sell or give away your data? What criteria should I use? Is setting up my own VPN through a web host somewhere a more secure option?

check out the link to get your VPN selection problem get resolved http://bestvpnexpert.com/how-to-choose-vpn/