|Anti-Censorship Forums > Anti-Censorship Tools / Services|
|[TUT] How to Use Tor With Firefox on Windows|
Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world. It prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location. Tor works with many common existing applications, including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other applications based on the TCP protocol. Here is how to use Tor with Firefox.
1. Download and install Tor. Make sure you get the bundle that includes Vidalia and Polipo.
2. Install Torbutton for Firefox. Make sure you get it from here and not from the Tor bundle if yours includes Torbutton.
3. Restart Firefox.
4. Open up Vidalia and start Tor. On systems that work with the Vidalia GUI, just click Start Tor to do that.
5. You should see Torbutton's icon in the Firefox status bar. Once Tor is running, click it so it turns green.
6. Enjoy Tor! To stop using Tor, just click the Torbutton icon again. To completely stop Tor, go back to Vidalia and click Stop Tor.
Images from: wikihow.com
| Message Index|